Monday, May 23, 2011

How Can I Protect My Yacht From Theft

     I despise a thief, many times I have had items stolen from my slipped boat, reported the theft to the marina office, only to wait for an answer that never came.  I have had my locks busted off aft hatches, portals and dock boxes.  For some reason there will always be crooks willing to take what you have worked hard for, so how can you help prevent them from succeeding?
    There are many tips to help secure your possessions and make stealing your property harder for the bad guys. First and foremost, choose a marina that cares about security, I have had boats slipped at various marinas some cared about security and others didn't, I learned my lesson.  Secondly, most yachts found at marinas are often unlocked somewhere, be it from a portal, hatch or unlocked lock.  Secure your yacht when not in use is the most critical of actions you can take.  And thirdly, common sense comes into play, you leave something out and more than likely someone is willing to take it, criminals work off our own laziness and theirs to find viable work, so forgetting to lock a hatch or leaving valuable items within easy access to steal is a criminals checklist. Check out the following website pdf, this is a excellent break-down of yacht security. LOCK YOUR YACHT!

http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/yachttheftprevention.pdf




    

No comments:

Post a Comment